- 1 loaf focaccia bread, divided into 4 pieces
- 6 oz. merguez sausage (or other spicy sausage, like chorizo)
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups grated Darigold cheddar cheese
Slice each piece of focaccia bread in half horizontally; set aside. Remove the sausage from the casings (if using links), crumble and brown in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat (about 5 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add the onion to the skillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook until softened and lightly browned (about 3 minutes). Add the oil and continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until onion is caramelized (about 6 minutes). Remove to a plate.
Divide the sausage, onions and cheddar cheese into 4 portions and layer over focaccia bottoms. Cover with focaccia tops and cook in a pre-heated panini grill until cheddar cheese is melted (3-5 minutes). Cut each sandwich in half, if desired, and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.